(New and Renewal)
We would be honored to have you as a supporter or active artist member of the Guild! Click here to sign up or renew.
Note that the online process has two steps, including both an informational form and payment via PayPal. The membership application/renewal is not complete until after the payment is completed via Paypal. Thank you!
FAQs & Forms
The Hanover Area Arts Guild, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. It always welcomes new members who bring talents and ideas, helping to keep the organization growing. It is a source of enjoyment for those who participate. The Guild also welcomes those who do not desire to become active members but enjoy and support the artistic abilities of others. The Guild relies on members volunteering their time and talents to keep the Gallery operating.
Gallery Inventory, Display of Art, and Storage Policies
Members should read and be aware of Guild policies regarding the inventory, display, and storage of member art. The policy is available by clicking here.
1. Sales donations to Guild on items sold: 20% on items $100.00 or under, and 30% on items over $100.00. A check will be mailed to the artist a few days after the end of each month.
2. The Gallery requires no donation on any order or referral a member may obtain by exhibiting his or her work in the Gallery.
3. Any active member volunteering 35 or more hours annually to staff the Gallery will pay only a 15% donation on sales for one full year.
4. Judged Guild Shows: Active members are automatically eligible to participate in shows. Specialty show promotional costs are shared equally by participating members of said shows. Due to the importance of our judged shows (which may include the Spring/Fall/Juried Shows,) only works not shown in the Gallery before will be accepted for these shows. This applies only to the judged shows and not for our other monthly shows.
5. Art Classes & Workshops: All members will be granted a discount on art and craft classes and workshops given by Guild instructors.
6. Newsletter: Members receive newsletters on Guild activities on a regular basis.
7. A personal Artist Page is available, at no cost, to show photographs of your work on this website. If you are interested, contact the front desk for more information.
8. Standards: We reserve the right to reject any members' work which is not the original creation of the artist. All work must be original. Copies of another's work, kits, or patterns are not acceptable. The work should display a designer/craftsman nature, and/or reflect one's own style. Commercially produced elements may not comprise a major component of any work.
9. All work displayed in the Gallery must be for sale, except for a 1 or 2 man show, unless otherwise noted regarding a particular monthly exhibit.
Upon expiration of membership, any property left at the Gallery by the former member will become the property of the Hanover Area Arts Guild after 60 days.
Procedures for signing in your artwork
When you are bringing your artwork to be displayed in the Gallery, there is a sign-in binder at the front desk. Each item is listed with your assigned artist #, title or description, and price. (Exception: Multiplesimilar items of the same price.) Front desk staff will answer any questions you may have.
Removing your artwork from the Gallery
Artwork may be removed during regular business hours by updating your list in the sign-in/out binder (If your artwork is part of a special monthly show, it should remain during the entirety of the show).
Displaying your Art
The gallery committee will hang all monthly shows, typically on the first Tuesday of each month. All hanging art must have a hanging wire on the back and be labeled with an art tag (available at the counter) with your Artist #, Name, Title and Price attached to the back, lower right side. Jewelry and high-priced craft items should be displayed in the glass cases. Craft items may be arranged on tables in the Gallery, or crafters may bring their own tables with the approval of the gallery committee. Each craft item must be labeled with at least your Artist # and price, with an attached tag or stick-on label.
Artist of the Month Display
Each month an individual artist displays their paintings or crafts on the right wall when you first walk into the gallery. This is a great way to showcase your work for other members and the public. Because it is open to public view, we ask that all works be "family-friendly." Contact the front desk to let us know you are interested in signing up.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the gallery's hours of operation?
We are open to the general public on Tuesday - Friday, Noon - 5 pm, and Saturday 10 am - 3 pm. During these times there will be someone at the front desk to help with any of your needs. We are closed Sunday, Monday and holidays.
Do you show and sell works from famous artists?
We are here to support and showcase local artists as they grow and develop their individual talents and businesses. "Famous" is a relative term; we'd all love to be famous one day, so although we don't have any Van Gogh, Monet, or Pollock original pieces, we have plenty of talented artists who use similar techniques!
I have some framed art I'd like to get rid of. Do you buy works of art from people's personal collections?
We only showcase work from current Guild members, and we do not buy pieces from the general public. However, we can refer you to local art appraisers if you think it might be worth something!
I have some old paintings that need to be cleaned/fixed. Can you help me?
While we personally don't offer that, we can refer you to some great art restoration services!
Do you have a layaway policy?
Yes! We will be glad to hold items for our customers, but with the following conditions:
- A deposit of 50% of the marked price is required. Make sure you ask for a dated receipt.
- The item must be paid in full within two weeks of the date of the layaway.
- If the item is not paid in full on time, it will go back on sale, and the deposit will be forfeited.
How much does it cost to become a Guild member?
Active (adult) membership: $50/year.
Family membership: $70/year.
Student (K-College) membership: $15/year.
Supporting membership: >$40/year.
Our fiscal year starts in September, and we do have a prorated policy if you become a member before or after September.
What are the benefits of becoming a Guild member?
Becoming a member allows you to show and sell your work in our gallery. You'll be added to our mailing list, and will receive bi-monthly newsletters and important gallery info. Also, Guild members receive a discount for classes and workshops that we offer!
Do you have to have prior art training for Guild classes?
While some classes and workshops are more advanced, we offer a variety of opportunities for those new to a medium!